Safety and Legal Requirements
Explore the EU regulatory framework for the production and use of alternative proteins in food and feed.
Contribute to future EU policy work with recommendations for alternative proteins.
Carry out pre-market assessment for NextGenProteins for use in EU.
- Documentation on EU Regulatory landscape and Safety of alternative proteins for food ☑️
- Documentation EU Regulatory landscape and Safety of alternative proteins for feed ☑️
- Status of EU legal/regulatory landscape and safety of alternative proteins for feed and food identified ☑️
- Policy recommendations – Coming soon
Production of Alternative Proteins
Analyse and document functional and nutritional properties, as well as sensory characteristics, of microalgae, SCP and insect proteins Optimisation and upscaling of production and downstream processes to meet requirements for food and feed applications in line with EU regulatory and safety framework.
Assess the suitability of alternative proteins from microalgae, insects and SCP as high quality ingredients in food.
- Verification of current alternative protein characteristics and safety requirements ☑
- First batch of alternative protein produced for food and feed applications ☑
- Summary of functional, nutritional and sensory characteristics of current three alternative proteins ☑
- Summary of functional, nutritional and sensory characteristics of three optimised alternative proteins – Coming soon
- Summary of the three optimised alternative protein production processes – Coming soon
Application in Food Products
The main objective is to assess the suitability of alternative proteins from microalgae, insects and SCP as high quality ingredients in food and to develop food concepts and products containing these proteins.
Focus is placed on developing and demonstrating novel high-quality food products containing the alternative proteins, to pave the way for subsequent commercialisation of the proteins and food products.
In this work, we will strive to improve the sensory quality of products through formulation technologies for increased consumer acceptance.
- Ethical clearance for sensory and consumer testing ☑
- Prototypes ready for consumer testing ☑
- Summary on development of ready meals containing alternative proteins – Coming soon
- Summary on development of bakery products containing alternative proteins – Coming soon
- Summary on development of imitation meat containing alternative proteins – Coming soon
- Summary on development of advanced functional food supplements for elderly people containing alternative proteins – Coming soon
Application in Feed Products
Analyse impact of feeding different levels of the three alternative protein sources to poultry and fishes.
Validate in field conditions the most promising alternative feed formulations.
Test the effect of the alternative proteins on feed manufacturing and physical and technological characteristics of the feed.
- Ethical clearance for animal trials ☑
- Feed for small scale animal trials ready ☑
- Results from dose response trials of terrestrial animals ☑
- Results from dose response trials of aquatic animals ☑
- First Summary on feed formulation and processing ☑
- Second Summary on feed formulation and processing ☑
- Report on the effect of feeding alternative proteins on productive traits, physiological indicators, gut health and product quality and safety in chickens and turkeys – Coming soon
- Report on the effect of feeding alternative proteins on productive traits, physiological indicators, gut health and product quality and safety in salmon – Coming soon
- Report on the effect of feeding alternative proteins sources on productive traits, physiological indicators, gut health and product quality and safety in seabass and seabream – Coming soon
Market Opportunities and Business Potential
Gain a European view on consumers’ and stakeholders’ attitude towards alternative protein sources and processes as well as food and feed containing alternative proteins.
Establish market potential for food and feed products containing the alternative proteins.
Identify suitable approaches to boost consumer trust and acceptability towards the three alternative protein sources and processes Create business models for the three alternative proteins as ingredients in food and feed.
- Report on consumer attitudes towards the three alternative proteins for food in Europe
- Report on stakeholder analysis on the use of the three alternative proteins in feed in Europe
- Business models for alternative proteins ☑
- Report on means to boost consumer trust and acceptability for the three alternative proteins – Coming soon
- Summary on potential business models for future products containing the three alternative protein Sources – Coming soon
Assess environmental and economic impacts, using life-cycle assessment methodologies.
Assess the circular economy potentials of the alternative proteins production.
Perform a multi-criteria value chain risk assessment Provide clear, relevant and comparable results on the sustainability of the three alternative proteins.
- Summary on systems map and data gathering ☑
- Report on economic impacts shifting protein production to NextGenProteins alternative proteins ☑
- Delivery of preliminary results from LCA, economic system analysis and value chain risk assessment ☑
- Report on circular economy potentials of the alternative proteins production processes ☑
- Report on value chain risk assessment ☑
- Report on LCA for the three alternative proteins – Coming soon
Stakeholder Involvement, Dissemination and Exploitation of Results
Engage all relevant stakeholders and actors, including primary processors, foresters, protein producers, food and ingredient producers, feed producers, and service providers as external experts, and involving researchers, national and European level policy makers, consumers and education experts, third sector organisations and communities to the multi-actor approach of NextGenProteins.
Support development of business cases by providing European-wide background information related to stakeholders.
Ensure effective exploitation of results.
Enable active multi-channel communication and dissemination that addresses all stakeholders and actors in order to guarantee long-term use and impact of project results: Disseminating results to industry and society as well as the scientific community.
Generate exploitation and dissemination plans to maximise the impact of the project results and to promote the three alternative proteins at European and International level Develop a Data Management Plan and connect NextGenProteins to the H2020 Open Research Data Pilot.
- Identification of Stakeholders of the Food and Feed sectors, Policy makers and Consumers ☑
- NextGenProteins website launched ☑
- RRI Framework established ☑
- RRI Framework – Matrix ☑
- RRI framework communicated to the consortium ☑
- Plan for dissemination and exploitation of results (PDER) including methodology and overview of stakeholder engagement actions ☑
- NextGenProteins Data Management Plan ☑
Birgir Örn Smárason
Manage the project team’s operations towards achieving all goals within the set scope, time, quality and budget limits
Manage an efficient distribution and delivery of tasks Ensure that the core element of this project facing issues as collaboration and communication with stakeholders, Executive Advisory Board, executive board and the project team are managed successfully
- Project Management tools and Collaborative Workspace ☑
- Summary of First annual report ☑
- Summary of Second annual report ☑
- Summary of Third annual report – Coming soon
- Summary of Final report – Coming soon